lag.
 






 



 



The Greenhouse

The Greenhouse of the New Reich's Chancellery was built into the northern section of the Pergola, and is a good example of the conflict in which Speer often found himself as an Architect. On the one hand Speer would obviously have been aware that the most appropriate materials for the construction of a greenhouse is metal and glass, as these materials allow the maximum amount of light to reach into the structure. However, Speer was also aware of the fact that Adolf Hitler would reject a design of glass and metal as "modern architecture". To solve this problem Speer constructed the greenhouse from natural stone, and tried to compensate for the lack of light by placing an oversized window in the front facade. This imbalance between form and function was further exacerbated when two statues by Ambrosi and Tuallion were placed in front of the greenhouse. Not only do the artworks differ greatly in scale, but the artists also lived in different times. The statues were simply placed here alongside each other because it was known that Hitler liked them.




The Atrium of the Reichskanzlei

The atrium of the New Reich's Chancellery was located in the western administrative building, and was a part of the informal sector of the New Reich's Chancellery. It contained the garages of the house fire brigade, as well as the delivery zone for the Chancellery cafiteria, and was connected with a passage to the entrance of the main garage. The atrium also served to provide natural light to the offices in this section of the Reich's Chancellery.




The Big Courtyard
The larger courtyard of the New Reich's Chancellery was located between thewestern administration building and Mittelbau. Its main function was to create a visual distance between the administration building and the main garden facade of the Chancellery, so that the garden facade of the New Reich's Chancellery became an independent visual element. This courtyard was only used as an entrance by staff and residents of the Barracks on Hermann Göring Street.






The Dining Hall of the New Reich's Chancellery

The dining hall connected the Old Reich's Chancellery to the garden facade of the New Reich's Chancellery. The architectural character of the passage in front of the dining hall was inherited from it's predecesson - the so called Bismarck passage. Albert Speer demolished the passage in 1937, but repeated it's characteristic arches in the garden facade of the new dining hall.




The Private Courtyard The Private Courtyard

When Albert Speer built the Court of Honor for the New Reich's Chancellery, it was located in roughly the same position as the courtyard of the first extension to the Old Reich's Chancellery. Only a small corner of the original courtyard remained, and this was incorporated into the smaller, covered courtyard which led from the Court of Honor. Like most of the facades of the New Reich's Chancellery, the walls were covered in a natural stone cladding. This courtyard connected the Old and the New Reich's Chancellery. It provided access to the garages where Hitler’s personal fleet was kept, as well as to the Old Reich's Chancellery where his private quarters were located. For this reason the smaller courtyard is considered to be Hitler’s private entrance to the Chancellery.








The Eastern Administrative Building

The eastern administrative building was also called the Praesidialkanzlei. It was designed by Albert Speer to serve as a visual bridge between the historic Borsig Palais and the New Reich's Chancellery.The building consisted of a left and a right wing, seperated by a central portal. The right wing was divided into two levels, to match the two levels of Borsig Palais. Its height was also dictated by the height of the Palais and this, in turn, determined the height of the entire New Reich's Chancellery. The design and materials of the facade of the right wing matched those on the rest of the Chancellery building. The left wing of the Praesidialkanzlei was divided into three levels. The central portal served as a demarcation between the two- and three level wings of the building, and so marked the transition between the historical and modern buildings. Above the entrance was mounted an imperial eagle by the sculptor Professor Kurt Schmidt-Ehmen. The left wing of the building integrated harmoniously into the whole via the architectural link between the portal and the Borsig Palais. The repetition and variation of design elements on the left- and right wings of the building ensured that the discrepancy between the tree level and two level building halves were dynamic, rather than disturbing.
 









The Reich Cabinet Meeting Room
The Reich cabinet meeting room was renovated between 1875-1878 by Wilhelm Neumann on behalf of Bismarck and looked as seen here until its destruction in 1944. The only novelty was the 1934-1935 implement refurbishment by Paul Ludwig Troost.


 

 

 
 
 





The Reception Hall
From an architectural point of view the appearance of the reception hall represented Hitler’s personal taste. The Atelier Troost had been erecting buildings for Hitler since before 1933. For these buildings Troost had developed an architectural language, based on the classical, which today is considered to be typical of the National Socialist era. But the appearance of the Reception Hall shows that there never was a typical National Socialist architectural style. Instead, classical elements were used and combined in whatever manner best suited their purposes. Consequently, with the Reception Hall, Leonard Gall designed a building which seems, from its exterior appearance, more like a rural mansion than an official building of the German government. With its wall lamps, shutters and plastered façades, the building could have been a summer house on one of the Brandenburg lakes.
 
 

 
 

 

 
 
 


The Old Winter Garden
This small extension to the Garden facade of the Reich’s Chancellery contained a Garden Room, which was originally built when the old Palais was renovated to become Bismarck’s Chancellery. Hitler gave Paul Ludwig Troost the task of changing the Garden Room into a dining room, with an attached winter garden. Troost’s plan was to build the winter garden on the western side of the dining room. In the northern section of the winter garden, he would build a staircase to connect the dining room to the roof terrace.

 
The Kannenberg Passage
The service passage itself was most likely constructed from prefabricated concrete pieces. Its height was reportedly 2.30 m, and its width 1.20 m. The passage now provided a direct route from the storage room to the basement of the Reception Hall. From here the staircase connected the basement to the dining room of the Old Reich’s Chancellery. The roof of the service passage was about 80centimeters beneath the garden surface. A layer of tar was painted onto the concrete exterior, to prevent moisture from penetrating into the passage. The house manager of the Reich’s Chancellery was Arthur Kannenbeg. He was also responsible for all kitchen supplies. As the service passage was used for the sole purpose of moving these supplies, it was soon nicknamed by staff the “Kannenberg Passage”





ADOLF HITLER


Site Meter